Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Second, Hope

(photo credit)
Hope


  • Do I immediately say a short prayer when I find myself getting discouraged?

  • Do I daily say a short act of hope?

  • Do I dwell on my worries instead of dismissing them from my mind?

  • Do I fail in the virtue of hope by my attachment to the things of this world?

  • Do I try to see God's providence in everything that "happens" in my life?

  • Do I try to see everything from the viewpoint of eternity?

  • Am I confident that, with God's grace, I will be saved?

  • Do I allow myself to worry about my past life and thus weaken my hope in God's mercy?

  • Do I try to combine every fully deliberate action with at least a momentary prayer for divine help?

  • How often today have I complained, even internally?

--John Hardon, S.J.

1 comment:

Rufus McCain said...

I complained a lot today, mainly internally but with a few dollops of external carping smeared on for good measure. Some of my complaining had ironically to do with the difficulty of finding time and space in which to pray. I used to think faith was the more difficult virtue for me and that hope came more easily, but after reading these past two meditations I think it may be the other way around. In any case they are both a challenge.